Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
King, John (1895-97); Unknown
Topic Started: Jan 18 2013, 11:53 PM (2,842 Views)
steve

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/King%2C+John

Born: 19 Jan 1874
Birthplace: Shotts
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joebloggscity
Member Avatar

Need something checked here.

"125 years" by Potter et al says he played in number of games in league startign in Aug 10,

BUT "Alphabet of Celts" says debut was in Glasgow Cup in 1895....

Anyone know the answer?

viewpark_tims

Just out of hospital recently but will try and check during the week

steve

Lunney has Aug 10, as 125 does.

viewpark_tims

As stated above, John King made his full competitive debut in the League match v Dundee on 10th August 1895.

However, his first appearance was in a Friendly match v Motherwell on 3rd August 1895. Celtic also played Glentoran on that day and seemed to split the squad over the 2 games.

As for the Glasgow Cup, his debut was against Cambuslang on 19th October 1895 and not the match v Partick Thistle on 2nd November 1895 as stated in the AoC

Hope that helps.

joebloggscity
Member Avatar

Steve

David Potter says for the early seasons best not take it all as it says, sadly he didn't get to proof read it fully

David Potter: " First if all, I would discount the 125 Book for that season. It is a total disgrace, and I apologise but would like to lodge the defence of not being able to do any proof reading! I would certainly have noticed the missing games!

It is complicated with their being two Kings – Alick and John (sometimes erroneously called James)."

viewpark_tims

I think there may have been some James or John King confusion just because it was sometimes shown as J King.

According to the Register of Scottish League players, John King signed for Celtic on 21st May 1895

The Wee Shamrock

Issue 133 of The Celt fanzine recently had a short piece about John King and Alex King headed up 'The Kings: relatives or just a series of coincidences?'

The writer notes that both came from the same area (Shotts/Dykehead) and were born 3 years apart. It is not known if they were related (brothers or cousins) but their football careers were remarkably paralleled - playing for the same 5 teams including 1 in England. Said their Celtic stats were:

Alex King: 63 apps/ 14 goals

John King: 10 apps/0 goals

Would be great if we could confirm they were related or not.

joebloggscity
Member Avatar

(also any pictures would also be cool).

viewpark_tims

The Wee Shamrock
Apr 1 2014, 02:39 PM
Issue 133 of The Celt fanzine recently had a short piece about John King and Alex King headed up 'The Kings: relatives or just a series of coincidences?'

The writer notes that both came from the same area (Shotts/Dykehead) and were born 3 years apart. It is not known if they were related (brothers or cousins) but their football careers were remarkably paralleled - playing for the same 5 teams including 1 in England. Said their Celtic stats were:

Alex King: 63 apps/ 14 goals

John King: 10 apps/0 goals

Would be great if we could confirm they were related or not.
An initial check would suggest the Apps & Goals figures are correct for both players.

Although not recorded in the 125 Book, the only major competitive game played by John King in Season 1896/97 was the ill fated Scottish Cup tie v Arthurlie.

If the family connection is not found beforehand, I hope to be in Edinburgh on 17th April (assuming I've recovered fully) to see my daughter but will find the time to visit Register House to check the birth records of these 2 players are any others that can be added to a list :thumbsup:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Players K to L · Next Topic »
Add Reply