Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Kelly, Francis (1918); Located (Montagris, France)
Topic Started: Oct 20 2012, 02:11 PM (2,268 Views)
steve

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Kelly%2C+Francis+%281918%29

Born: 8 Dec 1892, Glasgow
Died: 5 May 1919

"After returning to the army he was to die in 1919 from injuries sustained in a train crash in post-war France. Private 53182 is buried in Loiret France."

Montagris Communal Cemetery, Lorient, France (Plot 29, Row 8, Grave 23)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

steve

The eldest son of James Kelly, and Sir Bob's big brother.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107817

"Thanks for the offer . The soldier I am interested in is 53182 Pte Francis Davis Kelly, Cameronians (Sco Rifles). He was accidently killed on 5 May 1919. I am particularly interested in what battalion he was with."

"Thanks again for the look up. Reference Pte Kelly. Yes I saw they have him listed as the 3rd Battalion. Thay were a Reserve training battalion based at Nigg and Invergordon in Scotland and they never went overseas. The 3 Battalion tag probably came from the fact that casualties are struck off strength of the active battalion and taken on strength of the reserve battalion. I think it was the 3 Battalion who did all the admin surrounding the death so he would have been put down as being with the 3 battalion. Or at least I am hoping that is the case. The background behind it is that he was killed in a railway accident in May 1919 in France."

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107671

"I am researching a soldier who was killed in a train accident in or around Montagris, Loiret, France on 5 May 1919. There is no sign of him in "Soldiers Died" but he is buried in a CWGC grave in the local cemetery in Montagris. I have the MID but it has no additional info. He is listed as being with the 3 (Reserve)Cameronians, but they never left the U.K. The earliest he could have gone to France was the middle of June 1918. I presume he was part of a draft sent to the continent to allow the fighting soldiers to be demobbed. I think he may have been on local leave or some trip. He was 27 years old when he was killed. Has anyone any ideas as to how I would find out about the accident, what unit he may have been attached to and did war diaries continue after the end of conflict. "

"He was 53182 Pte Francis David Kelly."

tollcross

Nice work Steve.

One of the 6 footballing sons of the great James Kelly whose mentioned on his father's gravestone.

Posted Image

joebloggscity
Member Avatar

Bit of a long shot.

For "The Retro Celt" on Twitter, do any of you have any pics of Frank Kelly? I can't find any.....

Just helping him out...

Men in france

I am Laurent in Montargis

Je m interesse egalement a Kelly Franck

Contact me
Edited by Men in france, Sep 23 2015, 04:02 AM.

Men in france

I am come back in Montargis is Saturday and Sunday
Laurent
Edited by Men in france, Sep 23 2015, 09:15 PM.

joebloggscity
Member Avatar

what would you like to know? or what can we help you on?

tollcross

Frank Kelly features in Ian McCallum's next book

Men in france

J ai trouver dans un article de presse, la cause de la mort de Franck :

Acident de train : il a ete ecrase par le train, il mort de ses blessures

contactez moi par mail

Laurent
Edited by Men in france, Sep 30 2015, 01:47 AM.

tollcross

Men in france
Sep 30 2015, 01:46 AM
J ai trouver dans un article de presse, la cause de la mort de Franck :

Acident de train : il a ete ecrase par le train, il mort de ses blessures

contactez moi par mail

Laurent
Good stuff Laurent :thumbsup: thanks for that.

Ian McCallum who is writing a series of books on The Celtic the Glasgow Irish and the Great War is aware of what happened to Frank Kelly.

He would be interested in seeing the newspaper article you have so that he can compare, hopefully your version will differ from his and further details have come to light.

Ian (member - Ogam) will be in touch with you.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Players K to L · Next Topic »
Add Reply