Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Celtic Books; A Good Read not so Good and the Rare
Topic Started: Jan 22 2012, 09:44 PM (52,391 Views)
tollcross

Been meaning to do a Celtic book thread for a while because i love reading them, i prefer books on our early history rather than auto and biography although some of these make for a interesting read, Willie Maley's book is my favourite not only because its the first but it is full of early & interesting facts which i believe most Celtic historians would have got their information from, where else could they find out who was our first patrons, board, committee etc?, i obviously have other likes and dislikes.

Hopefully the thread will not only be about Celtic books we have read but also about ones we recommend and ones we think should be avoided at all costs.

From memory the books that are harder to find more than others are: Willie Maleys (1939) The Celtic Story by James Handley, Celtic. A Complete Record 1888-1992, Charlie Tully's book Passed To You, The Glory and The Dream by Woods & Campbell, A Life Time in Paradise: The Jimmy McGrory Story (1978) Edited by Gerald McNee and his 1972 ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone, the most expensive book is the Opus, feel free to add other Celtic books that you find difficult to lay your hands on.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tollcross

For those who dont read books you might prefer these Celtic related Quotes

tollcross

Books i have just finished are Bobby Collins The Wee Barra and Dixie Deans the Autobiography. to be honest i would'nt recommend either.

Posted Image

Now Dixie, a member of the Celtic Hall of Fame, opens his scrapbook of memories on a lifetime of adventures in the beautiful game of football. From the struggle of growing up in a one-parent family to losing his beloved mother just as his career was starting to blossom, to playing under the legendary Jock Stein, Dixie recalls the tumultuous days of a roller-coaster career at the very pinnacle of Scottish football. He lifts the lid on the untold story behind his signing for Celtic, the truth about him and Rangers, his mercurial relationship with Stein and his unique 'brotherly' pact with fellow Celtic icon Jimmy Johnstone. He also pulls no punches over the war with the SFA that saw him branded Public Enemy No1, what life was like playing for a Grand Old Team that included the likes of Dalglish, Macari, McNeill and Connolly and how his Scotland hopes ended in tatters. Also revealed for the first time is the devastating low he experienced after missing the penalty against Inter Milan in 1972 that wrecked Celtic's European dream - and the amazing redemption of hitting a hat-trick in the Scottish Cup Final just 17 days later.

Dixie will be appearing at the Aye Write book festival in the Mitch

viewpark_tims

A wee mention for "Not Playing for Celtic"

Although not historical as such, I really enjoyed it with some :lol: moments

tollcross

Not read it VT but heard it was really funny in parts :thumbsup:

tollcross

Something i did learn from Dixie's book that i did'nt know, i can remember seeing a pic of Dixie in the newspaper just after the penalty miss against inter, he was standing at a bus stop and looked so down that i could'nt help but feel so sorry for him, i did wonder why he was at a bus stop when i knew he drove, it tells you in the book that he was more or less set up like a kipper as a reporter who was doing a story with him asked him to stand there.

joebloggscity
Member Avatar

viewpark_tims
Jan 22 2012, 11:06 PM
A wee mention for "Not Playing for Celtic"

Although not historical as such, I really enjoyed it with some :lol: moments
Got the hardback original (an updated paperback was released a few years later)

David Bennie's book is exceptionally well written. Funny, intelligent, opinionated but well argued. It's far superior to Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby on which Bennie's book is obviously styled on.

see: http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Books+-+Not+Playing+For+Celtic

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

caltonbhoy1967

Kevin McCarra's new book - "Celtic- A Biography In Nine Lives" should be out on April 5th.

Chapters on the Main Players and their part in Celtic's History as it evolved - Guys like John Glass,Willie Maley,Jock Stein and even a chapter on the Celtic support represented by the Legend that was Flax* :notworthy:

Our very own tc :notworthy: had a small role in this chapter. :wink:

Glasgow Road

There is a Tully 'Passed to You' on ebay at the minute which I'm watching, so back off :thumbsup:

caltonbhoy1967

Glasgow Road
Jan 23 2012, 10:31 PM
There is a Tully 'Passed to You' on ebay at the minute which I'm watching, so back off :thumbsup:
:hmmm:

Hope you get it. :thumbsup:
Edited by caltonbhoy1967, Jan 24 2012, 12:29 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply