Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Celtic FC Medals; Medals
Topic Started: Sep 6 2011, 02:15 PM (46,938 Views)
tollcross

Going through all my old Christie Glasgow Catalogues today (thanks Camillo) and after seeing so many Celtic medals that have come up for auction, i think they are worthy of their own thread plus they are my main interest in collecting Celtic FC memorabilia, my aim is to record all Celtic medals that have ever appeared in auction and others i have images of, the one below shows Number 42 the 1908 Four Leaf Clover Medal.

Posted Image

A 15ct gold and green enamel medal, the obverse inscribed Celtic Football Club, 1908, the reverse inscribed Momento of Record Achieved by Celtic Team of Winning the following Trophies in 1907-8, Scottish League Champn., Scottish Cup, Glasgow Cup, Glasgow Charity Cup, the rim inscribed J.H.McLaughlin Sold in Christies Glasgow 10th December 1998 for £1,265 (includes buyers premium)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tollcross

Sorry no image as yet, just wish Willie Haughey would let me photograph his medal collection or place online for us all to see :cry:

A silver medal, unmarked, the obverse inscribed Scottish Football Association, the reverse inscribed Challenge Cup, 1888-89, T.E.Maley, Celtic F.C., Runners Up, with ring suspension, mounted on a modern bevelled smoked glass panel inscribed with details of the 1888-89 Scottish Cup run and biographical details on the Maley brothers, Sold at Christies Glasgow 20th June 1998 for £3680

tollcross

JOHNNY THOMSON MEDAL

A 9ct gold and enamel medal, the obverse inscribed Glasgow Football Association, 1928, the reverse inscribed Won By Celtic F.C. J. Thomson.

Posted Image

The name John Thomson will, forever, be etched into the annuals of Celtic F.C. His untimley death at the tender age of 22 in a challenge with the Rangers forward Sam English on 5 September 1931 is one of the saddest moments in Celtic's long and proud history. Known as 'The Cat', Johnny joined Celtic from Wellesley Juniors on November 1st 1926, and he made his debut for the club in a league match against Dundee in February the following year. A fearless and commanding figure around his penalty box, Johnny Thomson went on to make over 180 first team appearances for the club and the medal above is possiobly the first of only a handful of winners medals he managed to achieve with Celtic.

Sold on the 27th September 2001 Christies London, South Kensington for £2,585

Edited by tollcross, Sep 6 2011, 07:23 PM.

tollcross

A 9CT GOLD AND ENAMEL CELTIC F.C. MEDAL

the obverse inscribed Glasgow Football Association, 1927, the reverse inscribed Won By Celtic F.C., To J. Maloney, From T.B.McNally, with ring suspension in case, Sold 23 November 2004 Christies London, South Kensington £335

Posted Image

1927 FOUR LEAF CLOVER :bananadance:
Edited by tollcross, Sep 6 2011, 04:57 PM.

tollcross

tollcross
Sep 6 2011, 02:57 PM
JOHN (JEAN) MCFARLANE MEDAL

A 9ct gold and enamel medal, the reverse inscribed Charity Cup, Celtic F.C., J.McFarlane, 1920-21.

Posted Image

Known as 'Jean', John McFarlane made in excess of 300 appearances for Celtic, scoring 13 goals over a 10 year period with the club from 1919 to 1929. He was an extremely gifted passer of the ball who, after signing for the club from Wellesley Juniors (after trials for Cowdenbeath and Raith Rovers) originally an inside-right, he settled into the left-half role and was instrumental in making Celtic the attractive, if not entirely successful side they were. He joined Middlesbrough in June 1929, before joining Dunfermline Athletic in 1934, retiring the following year, In the final played at Hampden Park, Glasgow, Celtic defeated Rangers 2-0.

Sold at 27th September 2001 London, South Kensington for £764

Edited by tollcross, Sep 6 2011, 07:43 PM.

tollcross

Number 18 - A 9ct gold and enamel medal, the obverse inscribed Scottish League Championship, 1910, the reverse inscribed Won By Celtic F.C., 1905, 06, 07, 08, 09 & 1910, James Hay, 24th September 1999 Christies, London South Kensington Sold for £4,370

Posted Image

Celtic won their sixth League Championship in succession this season with a total 54 points Falkirk being runners-up with 52 points.

The Wee Shamrock

Fantastic TC - keep them coming!

tollcross

Another 1908 Four Leaf Clover Medal :thumbsup:

A 9CT GOLD AND ENAMEL MEDAL: the obverse inscribed Celtic Football Club, 1908, the reverse inscribed Presented By The Directors Of Celtic F.C. To Celtic , In Recognition Of, Record Achieved By Winning The Following Trophies in 1907-8, Scottish League Champ, Scottish Cup, Glasgow Cup, Glasgow Charity Cup, the rim inscribed Donald McLeod.

Posted Image

23rd November 2004, Christies Sold for £657

tollcross

wee shamrock
Sep 7 2011, 12:08 PM
Fantastic TC - keep them coming!
Glad now that i hung onto the catalogues and luckily Christies have a backdater online

Celtic medals are the Bizz - Where else would you find all this history on a wee piece of gold

Glasgow Road

Brilliant TC

2 users reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · If You Know Your History · Next Topic »
Add Reply