Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Memorabilia
Topic Started: Apr 22 2011, 04:52 PM (57,164 Views)
john1888

What is everyones most treasured piece of Celtic memorabilia? And how much did you pay :sherlock:

I've only just really started my collection, so don't have anything unique etc. I'm in the process of collecting all euro home, league clinchers and cup final programmes. Also collecting all the wee green books.

Edit: Forgot about all the Celtic books i have. Must have over 70 and i'm constantly buying more. Just got a copy of a lifetime in paradise by Gerald Mcnee earlier today.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CelticIreland

What Handbooks you got J?

:thumbsup:

They tell the real history of the club on a year to year basis far better than a book written decades later.

:thumbsup:

tollcross

I dont think you will get many showing their Memorabilia on this site John but we will see.

This is a Tea Set from 1891 although not football related its probably one of the oldest pieces of CP1 memorabilia in existence. many on here has seen it and its also on the Wiki and to me its priceless as i can picture a young Willie Maley handing it over at one of their Sports Days all them years ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Old Celtic Park 1st & 8th August 1891, John Gebbie Torrance was 1st in the race and R.A.Vogt finished a close 2nd.

VOGT, R. A., was born at Glasgow, February 15th, 1869; began racing in 1888 on an ordinary, and took to the safety' in 1891. He has won about 150 prizes, including all the Scottish Championships or 1890, 1891, and 1892, and holds all Scottish records from 1/4 -mile to 50 miles. it is recorded that he actually Raced against the Worlds Greatest Cyclist Arthur Zimmerman of the US.

TORRANCE, John Gebbie, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1869, and began racing in 1889. Business has prevented him from following it closely, but he has won about 80 prizes.

CelticIreland

Absolutely priceless Tollcross. I can just imagine the excitement when you came across it.
Brilliant that it's in a Celtic fan's hands.

:thumbsup: :notworthy:

tollcross

Love this type of Memorabilia, crash helmet from the 60s.

Posted Image

tollcross

Wee MacGregor Scottish Pottery from the early 1900s.

Posted Image

Glasgow Road

tollcross
Apr 24 2011, 11:01 AM
Wee MacGregor Scottish Pottery from the early 1900s.

Posted Image
What height is that roughly Tollcross, my old pal used to have one similar, though if Im sure it was about 2ft. :thumbsup:

tollcross

Not as large as that GR edit to say its 14 inches

Guy in the barras years ago was selling repro"s from a original mould and gave me one,
the one i have showed is original and is from my collection, other teams did them also.
Edited by tollcross, Jun 18 2011, 05:09 PM.

tollcross

A shirt from the 1931 Celtic Tour of North America and possibly the shirt that Peter Scarff was suppose to wear in the match against Montreal Carsteels. however, no shirt was available for Scarff prior to the match and he had to wear a vertical striped dress shirt. Signed by the 1951 Celtic Scottish Cup-winning side on a Tour of North America and that is when the shirt was autographed by that side. believed to be the third oldest Celtic shirt is existence, the other two are Willie Loney and Patsy Gallagher which are currently on display at Celtic Park. :

Posted Image

Recently sold at auction for £4000 + 20% = £4800 :thumbsup: sadly it was never mine :sad:
Edited by tollcross, May 31 2011, 10:57 AM.

tollcross

Posted Image

The Empire Exhibition Tournament was played in the pre-war summer of 1938 to mark the Empire Exhibition being held in Bellahouston Park in Glasgow. Eight teams took part in the tournament held at Ibrox - Aberdeen, Celtic, Hearts, Rangers represented Scotland and Brentford, Chelsea, Everton and Sunderland (Champions of England) for England.

Celtic played Sunderland in the first round and won a replay 3-1 after a 0-0 draw in the first match. Hearts were disposed of in the semi-final 1-0 through a Johnny Crum goal. Everton, destined to win the English championship in the following season, were Celtic's opponents in the final. They had beaten Rangers 2-0 and Aberdeen 3-2 to advance to the final and were the favourites to triumph. Once again, Johnny Crum scored the vital goal 5 minutes into extra time and Celtic won the match and the tournament.

Something that i have been try to add to my collection for ages and i finally got one today, A Silver Hallmarked Replica of the 1938 Glasgow Empire Exhibition made by Edwards & Sons of Buchanan Street in 1937. Stands exactly 6 inches high. The actual trophy was kept permanently by Celtic and is on the display at Celtic Park, The Earl of Elgin presented the Empire Exhibition Cup to Celtic captain Willie Lyon, According to Bob Crampsey in his book about Sport at the Exhibition, The winning team Celtic and Willie Maley the Manager received Silver miniature replicas of the trophy with all other players taking part receiving Silver plated ones, pic below shows Willie Lyon receiving the Trophy with the boxed miniature replicas to his left. (looking for a better photo) :thumbsup:

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Empire+Exhibition+Cup

Posted Image

Edited by tollcross, May 22 2011, 11:37 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · If You Know Your History · Next Topic »
Add Reply