Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Solis, Jerry (1931-32); Place + Date of Death (Lambeth, 1974)
Topic Started: Jan 25 2011, 04:45 PM (10,433 Views)
Dianogah
Member Avatar

http://celticgraves.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=cplayers&action=display&thread=245
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

steve

Can anyone still access the old board? I can't see the discussion on Jerry.

steve

Jerome Andrew Solis, 29 Sept 1909
NAME:
Jerome Andrew Solis
BIRTH:
29 Sep 1909
DEATH:
Lambeth, Greater London, England
DEATH:
Jul-Aug-Sep 1974

The wiki has his birthday as 6 Oct 1909, but that was
NAME:
Francis Trevelyan Solis
BIRTH:
6 Oct 1909
DEATH:
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England
DEATH:
Jul-Aug-Sep 1981

steve

Gone through all of the cemeteries listed here, nothing.
http://www.theus.org.uk/support_services/find_your_family/burial_records

joebloggscity
Member Avatar

Wiki:
http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Solis%2C+Jerome

Wiki/A-Z of Celtic players says: Glasgow, 6 Oct 1909 (?)
CGS says: Lambeth 29 Sep 1909

Seems he might have gone to St Aloysius College (Glasgow one I assume) but guess we don't all know yet.....

steve

I think that he died in Lambeth, rather than was born there.

The Solis born in Glasgow on 6 Oct 1909 was Francis Trevelyan Solis. (According to Scotland's People). And that does match with his date of birth in the A/Z. This guy dies in Peterborough, July-September 1981.

There's also the mentioned Geronimo Felix Solis born in Glasgow 1908.

Surely the favourite though is Jerome Andrew Solis born in 1909 (the one who died in Lambeth in 1974 according to their burial records). Can't find a birth record for him though.

Wonder if the A/Z researcher simply confused them, or knew something that we don't?

Dianogah
Member Avatar

from the old forum

Quote:

Artur 1 is on the trail of Jerry Solis. Some details from another thread:

Artur1
I enjoyed thursday's feild trip any more info on the 2 jewish players i can look in the hebrew cemetery across from me but i think i would need more than Solis and Coen

CB67
Jerome Solis was a left winger again signed in 1931 - Only played 9/10 games and in 1932 joined Coleraine.
Jerome was a Glasgow Bhoy so possibly he is buried back in Glasgow?

Artur1
I today have e-mailed The Hebrew Society in Glasgow to the geaneolgy dept asking if they have any info re:Jerome Solis will post any reply

weeshamrock
Joe Coen is buried in Holy Trinity Churchyard, Biscot, Luton - according to the the Alphabet of the Celts.

He is on the Footballers' Roll of Honour. After joining Luton Town as the first team goalie he died while training to be a pilot in WW2.

I think you're right StM. Despite the surname I don't think Joe was of the Jewish faith from what I read, will try and fine it.

Artur1
I recieved a reply from Glasgow Hebrew Society and they have passed the details on to the appropriate person to search for Jerome Solis hopefully will get result as they have all the records of Jewish burials in Glasgow.If he died outside the city a new search will have to be done.

Artur1
Stephen

Re Jerome Solis, I have checked the list of 18 Solis births in Scotland. The most likely candidate is Geronimo Felix Vincent Solis, born on 8 September 1908 in Glasgow.

What makes you think he was Jewish?

His father was an engineer's draughtsman and his mother was a housekeeper called Margaret Healey. Nothing so far to suggest he was Jewish (although I understand that Solis was an old Sephardi Jewish surname, but that could just be a coincidence in this case - and anyway, the Jewish status would have to come from his mother).

best wishes

Harvey Kaplan

Dianogah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Artur1
Where do i go from here guy's any ideas Stevie

weeshamrock
A1, The Alphabet of the Celts books states that Jerry (and I think Geronimo was his first name, did some digging about him a while back but would need to look it out again) was Celtic's first Jewish player. Writing in 1938, Willie Maley also stated that Celtic had a Jewish player on their books and it has been assumed that this was Jerry Solis. I would let Harvey know that is the source of our info, that as far as the club at the time was concerned Jerry belonged to the Jewish faith.

Camillo
Be worth starting a thread for this in players Artur1.

An interesting subject.

I can tell you he was born in the District of Dennistoun in 1908.

Think we need one of the ancestry bhoys to check out this chap

A puerto rican Geronimo born in Scotland in 1908 from the 1930 census though.

1930 United States Federal Census

Census & Electoral Rolls

View Image
NAME:
Geronimo Solis Y Felix
SPOUSE:
Leonor
BIRTH:
abt 1908 - location
RESIDENCE:
1930 - city, Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

Solis deaths in scotland

1 1992 ESPANA DE SOLIS JOSE Not Permissible M 76 INVERNESS /HIGHLAND 240/00 0054 No Image ORDER
2 2002 SOLIS HELEN ANN MAY Not Permissible CAMERON F 81 INVERNESS /HIGHLAND 240/00 0326 No Image ORDER
3 1992 SOLIS JOSE Not Permissible M 76 INVERNESS /HIGHLAND 240/00 0054 No Image ORDER
4 1974 SOLIS PAUL CAMERON Not Permissible M 25 INVERNESS /INVERNESS 231/00 0672 No Image ORDER
5 1992 SOLIS DE ESPANA JOSE Not Permissible M 76 INVERNESS /HIGHLAN

Dianogah
Member Avatar

Quote:

Dear Stephen

I looked at the Solis birth in 1908, but his mother is Margaret Healey, and neither she nor her partner seem to be Jewish on the face of it. (For Solis to have been Jewish 'officially', Margaret would have to have been Jewish).

There is no mention in the Jewish Chronicle (the national Jewish newspaper). Perhaps he is mentioned in the Glasgow Jewish Echo, but we'd have to look all the way through.

It's intriguing, and I wonder how we can get more information.

let me know if you find any more clues

Dianogah
Member Avatar

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Players P to S · Next Topic »
Add Reply