Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Loney, Willie (1900-13) 100+; Cemetery Located
Topic Started: Jan 24 2011, 09:06 PM (7,265 Views)
Dianogah
Member Avatar

kevtic

Quote:

Seeing as we have tracked down James Hay's resting place and almost located Sunny Jim's grave then it made sense to complete the trio of that formidable defence with Willie Loney.

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Loney%2C+Willie

After a quick bit of research he is located, like so many seem to be, in St Kentigerns cemetery. Am I right in thinking that Glasgow City Council charge for lair locations?

Death notice and a small piece from the Evening Times below. I also got his death certificate off Scotland's People and it appears he became a saddler after his Celtic days.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

When i get a chance I'll take a trip up to the cemetery to see if I can find his grave. He was buried on my birthday although I still had 9 years to make my appearance.

camillo
Quote:

Kevtic, some records are held on microfiche' in the Mitchell Library. I think 1956 will be covered by their records.

I'm going to st Kents pretty soon and Willie is now the fourth significant figure to be laid at rest there.

I think St Kents will become a significant site for us too.

kevtic

Quote:

That's my lunchtime sorted. Do you know which part of the library this is in? Billy McPhail is also buried there. Much more recently in 2003.

camillo
Quote:

In the family history section (third floor I think).

Go to the desk and ask for the microfiche for St Kentigerns for the years in question. Some of the text is difficult to make out but you get used to it eventually. The layout is difficult in St Kents but I've just been given a map which should make the discovery of the lairs easier.

I'll give a shout when I'm going up.

joebloggscity

Quote:

kevtic
Quote:

Nice one camillo. I'll let you know how i get on.

While doing my searching I came across a forum that someone said there was a buiding in the cemetery with a record of the plots and who was buried there. I couldn't find anymore info on it but might be worth following up if that is the case.

camillo

Quote:

There used to be but not now. They rely on the Trongate for exact locations but they do know the layout pretty well. Sadly the council cutbacks mean that the number of experienced staff at at St Kents (like we see at Dalbeth) has plummeted in recent years.

kevtic
Quote:

didn't get a chance to go to the family history section. on my list for tomorrow. I now also know how print from microfiche. :)

kevtic

Quote:

we now have a section and lair number for Mr Loney.

camillo

Quote:

Going to go up tomorrow to see look for his final resting place.

Meeting 12.00 o'clock at Gilshochill station, near St Kents.

camillo

Quote:

Located the resting place in St Kents but sadly no headstone. I'll post a photo later. The stones around are in good condition though.

kevtic
Quote:

Just got back from holiday last night or i would have tried to make the trip to St Kents. Surprised there isn't a headstone as it isn't that long ago, relatively speaking, unless it has been knocked over and removed possibly.

camillo

Quote:

As you can see not many headstones in the area. Every chance they could have all been toppled and removed. I'll have a look for a foundation next time.

Posted Image

kevtic

Quote:

The ones around the area look ok although the black one looks like an updated/new stone going by the dates and it's a different colour from the base. Can't really make out the writing on the far left one to see what date it is.

Do cemeteries keep a note of what happens to stones etc.

camillo
Quote:

Sadly the answer to that is no. They (Glasgow) started to keep records from the 1990's but no earlier than that.

Other councils may have better records but I would doubt it.

I'll ask North Lanarkshire about Michael Dolan and see if they ever have a record of a stone there but I suspect the answer will be the same.

If there was a stone there would be no way for us to know which sculptors were used or if they have records.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Dianogah
Member Avatar

kevtic

Quote:

I kind of expected that would be the case. I wonder what actually happens to the stones that are removed from the graves? In a lot of cases I'd imagine the stones are probably in good condition and have just fallen/been pushed over but possibly still usuable.

chuck

Lads,

If there is a chance that Loney's grave is going to be one of the ones marked, let me know - as he played for Belfast Celtic, i'd like the Belfast Celtic Society to be involved - which could include making a donation to the CGS to defray costs.

kevtic
Administrator
chuck
Mar 30 2011, 03:35 PM
Lads,

If there is a chance that Loney's grave is going to be one of the ones marked, let me know - as he played for Belfast Celtic, i'd like the Belfast Celtic Society to be involved - which could include making a donation to the CGS to defray costs.
Loney is definitely on the list of graves to be marked but no idea of timescales as yet. Will keep you posted though if there is any info :thumbsup:

Camillo

Chuck

If there is a timeframe which would suit you just shout and we can look at that. Willie in in St Kentigerns in the North West. We will have our first ceremony in there in the summer for one of the first ever Celts so the focus will move outside of Dalbeth to St Kents. As the Irish community in Glasgow spread out there are probably a significant number buried there (4 or 5 currently)

Not too far from me so shout if you're over and want to visit.

chuck

Camillo
Apr 1 2011, 12:36 AM
Chuck

If there is a timeframe which would suit you just shout and we can look at that. Willie in in St Kentigerns in the North West. We will have our first ceremony in there in the summer for one of the first ever Celts so the focus will move outside of Dalbeth to St Kents. As the Irish community in Glasgow spread out there are probably a significant number buried there (4 or 5 currently)

Brilliant mate cheers.

No, we've no timeframe in mind, we're just keen to support your efforts. I raised it at the meeting of the Belfast Celtic Society last night and it was readily agreed that we would like to help in some way - perhaps splitting the cost on the grave marker, or whatever really.

Let us know what you have planned and we'll link in.

Camillo

chuck
Apr 1 2011, 04:06 PM
Camillo
Chuck

Brilliant mate cheers.

No, we've no timeframe in mind, we're just keen to support your efforts. I raised it at the meeting of the Belfast Celtic Society last night and it was readily agreed that we would like to help in some way - perhaps splitting the cost on the grave marker, or whatever really.

Chuck

We could even have a section for those players who played for both. There will be undoubted crossover with other sections too but I'd love to see that. Charles Patrick was my da's favourite player and it would be good to remember those who done so much for both teams.

Glasgow Road

The 'Obliterator' was born in Denny :thumbsup:

Glasgow Road

Glasgow Road
Apr 1 2011, 11:12 PM
The 'Obliterator' was born in Denny :thumbsup:
A few Loney's drink in my local in Denny, I will find out if there is a connection.

chuck

Camillo
Apr 1 2011, 06:13 PM
chuck
Apr 1 2011, 04:06 PM
Camillo
Chuck

Brilliant mate cheers.

Chuck

We could even have a section for those players who played for both. There will be undoubted crossover with other sections too but I'd love to see that. Charles Patrick was my da's favourite player and it would be good to remember those who done so much for both teams.
Fine by me - there were up to fifty players who played for both teams, but the Celtic Wiki lists the following:

# James Blessington
# William Crone
# Willie Donnelly
# Michael Hamill
# George Hazlett
# Willie Loney
# Charles McGinlay
# Willie McStay
# Charlie Tully

I'd add Dan McColgan to that list (from the 1920's) and of course Tom Colgan was a Director at bioth clubs too.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Players K to L · Next Topic »
Add Reply