Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
Kapler, Konrad (1947-1949); Date + Place of Death (Rochdale, 1991)
Topic Started: Jan 24 2011, 09:00 PM (2,733 Views)
Dianogah
Member Avatar

camillo

Quote:

As discussed Greg

Kon Kapler: Born at Tychy, Poland on 22nd February 1925. A left-winger, Kon was a Polish schoolboy International who arrived in Scotland with the Polish armed forces in the Second World War and started playing for Third Lanark (wartime) and later Forres Mechanics before he joined Glasgow Celtic for two seasons 1947/48-48/49 playing 7 first team games. However, he failed to establish himself in the first team and headed south and joined Rochdale (May 1949) and in 1949/50 season he played 4 games for them. He then signed for Morecambe (1950/51), playing 37 league games and 10 cup matches, scoring two league goals. After a spell at Congleton, he joined Altrincham uhere he played from season 1951-52 to 1956/57 inclusive, making 258 apperances. He then moved on to Stalybridge Celtic (1957/58), Mossley (1958/59). He died at Rochdale on 23 October 1991.

Front row. Far left.

Posted Image

Quote:

biggreg

Thanks for starting the thread Camillo .
I had a wee search today about my country mate and this is what I found . Looks like Konrad first game for Celtic was against his former club Third Lanark in Glasgow Cup on 10th of September 1947 . It was a first round match played at home . I cant find the result but looks like we got beat becouse Third Lanark end up in the final that year where they lost 2-1 to Clyde . Another interesting fact is that exactly 58 years later after Konrad debut on the same day Celtic played Aberdeen at home . It was 20th anniversary of Jock Stein's death and Maciej Zurawski score his first ever goal at Celtic Park !!
I had a search through Celtic Programmes and I found match program from a League Cup . Celtic played Third Lanark again and got beat 3-2 . Game was played at Hampden due to ground alternations at Cathkin . Konrad 's name is mentioned on the program ( it is saying Kaplan but I am sure its spelling mistake ) . By the way word Kaplan in polish means Priest so maybe Konrad gave blessing that way to Jackie , Wdowczyk , Magic and Artur to join Celtic haha . That game was played at 13th of September and it was a Laegue Cup .

Posted Image

So looks like Konrad was playing twice in 3 days against his former club.
Next thing that I found about Konrad was a program from the Rangers game at Ibrox on 20th of september 1947 . Shame we got beat 2-0 .

Posted Image

Konrad was at front page of Celtic program . We played Aberdeen at Celtic Park on 10th of January 1948 and we won 1-0 .
Posted Image

This is all I could find just now but must say it's getting more and more interesting .

viewparktims

Quote:

Glasgow Cup Semi Final - 10th September 1947

Celtic 1 (Corbett (pen)

Ugolini
Boden
P McDonald
McPhail
Corbett
McAuley
Bogan
R Quinn
Rae
Evans
Konrad Kapler

Third Lanark 3 (Mitchell (pen), Mitchell, McCulloch)

Fraser
Young
Kelly
McMillan
Barclay
Mooney
Staroscik
Mason
McCulloch
Ayton
Mitchell

If you need any more match details then just post the request

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joebloggscity
Member Avatar

his TheCelticWiki page:
http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Kapler,+Konrad

viewpark_tims

Rochdale Council advised that Konrad who died on 23rd October 1991 in Rochdale, was cremated and his ashes were scattered on the front lawn at Rochdale Cemetery & Crematorium. There is an entry for him in their Book of Remembrance.

Wiki has been updated

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Players K to L · Next Topic »
Add Reply