Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Add Reply
How Did a Green & White Teddy Bear get from Lisbon to Milan; Or Did It ?
Topic Started: Dec 21 2017, 05:47 PM (200 Views)
tollcross

Never ever thought i would be writing about the Teddy Bears on here but here goes:

A wee debate on twitter last week started by a STV political commentator who got a few from this Parish involved, including myself

Posted Image

The Question was simple enough, he was asking Celtic history buffs. "How did Feyenood get their hands on the teddy after beating us in the final in 1970?"
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tollcross

The question was right down my street as a few weeks previous i was up in Derek Taylors flat and he had the images on his laptop, i asked whats that your doing and he said its the Lisbon bear in the Museum at Feyenoord. Immediately i said naw its no as i had looked it up a few years ago and could see they were not the same and were actually very different in size and looks and the only likeness i could see was the Green & White colours and similar clothes.

I asked Pat Woods about it next time i saw him and he rightly said there is no chance of it and his feeling was that the Milan bear was given to the Feyenoord party at the airport by a saddened Celtic fan.

Posted Image

tollcross

After a great number of images of the Teddy Bears were posted, Pat suggested i email Feyenoord and ask them where they got the one they have on display in their museum?

Posted Image
Edited by tollcross, Dec 21 2017, 06:19 PM.

tollcross

Anyway i sent this email off to the museum at Feyenoord.

Quote:

Hi,

I am wondering if you can help me in my quest to find out more about the Green & White Teddy Bear you have in your museum, as you may be aware, the club who i support Celtic had placed a similar teddy bear inside the European Cup when they won it in 1967, do you know if this is the same bear, and if not can you enlighten me as to how this bear came into the possession of Feyenoord in 1970.

Ta Jamie

tollcross

And got this reply

Quote:

Dear Jamie,

I would like to answer your question about our Celtic teddy bear.

As Feyenoord Museum we got in possession of the teddy bear, on loan, from Marike Couwenberg.

Marike is the daughter of our former chairman Guus Couwenberg (1915 - 2000).

Couwenberg was Feyenoord’s chairman from 1967 to 1973 and from 1979 to 1980.

According to Marike, her father got the teddy bear of a (disappointed) Celtic fan after the match.

When I look at the photos, it seems to me that our teddy bear is a different bear than the 1967 teddy bear.

The 1967 teddy bear seems to have a two-coloured head. The head of our bear seems to consist of one colour.

Yours sincerely,

Met vriendelijke groet,

Marijke Edel

Beleidsmedewerker Feyenoord Museum

T +31 (0)10 - 291 69 71

M +31 (0)6 - 15 69 46 61

E m.edel@dekuip.nl

Here is the owner of the Milan Teddy Bear Marike Couwenberg with her Dad Guss :wink:

Posted Image
Edited by tollcross, Dec 21 2017, 06:43 PM.

tollcross

I was hoping this would finally put the Teddy Bear story to bed but apparently not :hmmm:

Big John Fallon (TOHG) who was the first man we seen carrying the Bear onto the park in Lisbon, gave me pelters when i seen him, saying

"Wits aw this nonsense on twitter about it being the same bear, yeeze aff yer nut how kin it be the same bear", exactly John that's what i say :thumbsup:

Posted Image

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · If You Know Your History · Next Topic »
Add Reply